Okra Fried Rice Recipe
Need a quick and delicious asian inspired fried rice recipe? We got you covered with this simple okra fried rice recipe. Why okras? Because they are uber nutritious and we just can’t bet enough okras.
As you’ve probably guessed we love okras around here. We probably make a dish with okras at least 1-2 times per week. We are always seeking new recipe ideas to incorporate more vegetables like okras. If you haven’t already check our Curry Okra and Butter Beans recipe which is our all-time favourite okra dish.
TIPS FOR THE RICE
- Using Cold Rice: Just about all fried rice recipes recommend using cold or leftover rice that’s been chilled for a few hours or overnight. I must admit I’m usually in a rush or just neglected to plan ahead – again. If you are in a rush like I’m most of the time you can go ahead and cook your rice like you normally would. Then place in the freezer for at least 15-30 minutes to get some of the benefits of using cold rice. You’ll notice the benefit of using cold rice when you attempt to “fry” the rice. Rice that is still warm or hot doesn’t fry very well. If that’s not a deal breaker for you then by all means use what you got.
- Use Vegan Margarine/Butter: While you can use peanut oil or any oil for that matter in your fried rice you will get some better flavours if you use some vegan margarine or butter instead of oil.
- Use Toasted Sesame Oil: To finish off your fried rice and bring out that traditional asian fried rice taste and smell you’ll definitely want to add a little bit of sesame oil. Toasted sesame is best but you can also use regular sesame oil. Just be sure to add a small amount as a little goes a long way.
WHAT VEGETABLES TO ADD TO YOUR OKRA FRIED RICE?
Feel free to add additional veggies to your fried rice. Although my recipe calls for frozen vegetables (since it’s meant as a quick meal) feel free to use or add any freshly diced vegetables i.e. carrots, peas, broccoli, corn, mushrooms, etc.
OKRA FRIED RICE
Okra Fried Rice
- 2-3 Cups Cooked rice
- 1 Cup Okras Sliced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Chopped
- 1-2 Cups Frozen Vegetables
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 2 Scallions (Green Onion) Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Margarine/Vegan Butter or Peanut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Soya Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- Cook rice according to instructions. It's best to use rice that's been cooked and chilled for a few hours.
- Heat margarine/vegan butter or peanut oil in a non-stick pan/skillet or wok.
- Add onions and garlic and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add okras and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes to remove any sliminess. Stir constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add frozen vegetables, scallions, mushrooms and other vegetables. Allow to stir fry for 5-7 minutes while stirring constantly to avoid sticking to pot.
- Add in cooked rice and stir.
- Add soy sauce and stir to coat. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add any desired seasoning i.e black pepper, salt, garlic powder, etc.
- Turn off and remove pot from stove. Add sesame oil and stir to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!